When e-book sales first started to take off in 2007, many people thought that physical books were going to be extinct. Today, they are still the most popular format for book sales. The eBook format has opened up new opportunities for publishers to reach out to readers who were previously limited by their physical book access.
As devices started to feature more useful features, it became clear that not all of them were created in a way that makes them truly accessible to all users. There are several factors that publishers and authors need to consider when it comes to improving the accessibility of their content in EPUB. A few of these include converting older titles to EPUBs, creating EPUB content for frontlist release, and more.
This process involves identifying the elements and actions that will enable people with limited mobility to use the products and services that you develop. This step will help you avoid having to follow a schedule and budget that can be significantly affected by the complexity of the project.
While accessible design serves all users, it is still important that the content is designed in a way that is accessible to those with physical limitations.
The structure is a key component of the digital product development process, and it plays a crucial role in the creation of an accessible product:
- Metadata & tags: It helps make content discoverability easier for readers.
- Platforms: Do your files need to be compatible with text-to-speech or screen readers? Make sure that your vendor is aware of the platform where they intend to distribute their finished products?
- Pictures: Alt-text writing is typically not part of the creation process for digital accessibility. Good alt-text writers consider several factors when crafting their descriptions.
- Tables, charts & mathematical equations: You will need to think about the various formats that will allow the reader to easily navigate through the displays.
- Font styles & Font colours: While these are important considerations in a printed book, they are also important when printing an EPUB file. To avoid this, most developers avoid including too many fonts.
Some factors go into the production of an accessible e-book, but these are some key design aspects that will help make sure that your book is ready to serve all audiences. eBooks are an excellent way to reach out to new readers and engage existing ones. They can also be used to attract attention-seekers who are looking for a particular title or series.
There are many resources available to help publishers create an accessible digital product. These include tools and resources that can help expand their digital catalogue and deliver products that meet or exceed the expectations of the user. Or you can make use of service providers like Apex Solutions Ltd.