Write from Creating Publishing and Distribution
EBooks are a form of “electronic book,” which are basically used for computer, mobile devices, and EReader to display content in a reflowable way which means the content adapts and reorganizes itself to the device screen. EBooks can be accessed on many different devices such as iPhone, Android Smartphones, PC, Macbook, and EReaders like Kindle, Sony Reader, Nook, Kobo, etc. EBooks have multiple digital “pages” that users can navigate through and are often packaged as PDF documents so that they can be easily sent from one user to another.
EBooks are trendy and much popular with people who have a story to tell and people who have a product to sell, EBooks are extremely popular with authors of fiction and non-fiction genre, With many EBook publishing platforms around, it is now the easiest way to publish your story, By using service like Amazon, the author can even digitally distribute a book without a publisher.
Write an EBook
EBooks are associated with different stages and include a series of process steps.
Stage1: Using the word processor
- Select a topic that matches your audience’s needs.
- Choose the software you are most comfortable with Word processors are the most prominent, but you can also use other software to create graphic design, illustrations, newsletters, or slide shows, Most people prefer to use Microsoft word to write their books, using Microsoft Word you can easily add a heading, subheading, table of content, font styling and alignment and set the margins.
- Start writing your book, try to outline each chapter of your book.
- Break down each chapter as you write.
- Once you have completed your first draft, check the content flow and proofread so that there are no possibilities of grammatical errors.
- Now it’s time to focus on Designing your EBook.
- Use the right color combination.
- Incorporate relevant visuals.
- Highlight quotes and statistics.
- Convert the document to a PDF. (Can be read by both PC and Mac users)
Stage2: Editing EBook
- Getting other authors to see and review your work can be stressful, but these inputs will help you shape your story and make valuable revisions.
- You’ll need to edit your book by yourself first and then submit it to a professional editor for the second level of editing, which is worth it.
- Now that you’ve done editing your book by going through different versions and drafts, it’s time to design the cover page of your EBook. Cover art is going to be a big selling point for your EBook, it should relate to the theme of your story, consider hiring a professional graphic designer.
Publishing and Distribution of an eBook
Stage3: Exporting EBook
- Prepare your EBook for self-publishing online by uploading your manuscript to the Amazon Kindle direct publishing program and start selling the copies.
- Make sure to upload your manuscript in an HTML, Doc/Docx, RTF, Mobi, or ePub format.
- Kindle uses a MOBI format as an output to the EBook so that EReaders can read it
- Decide on your manuscript format whether it should be in standard eBook format (typically used in ePub and Mobi files) or a fixed-layout format (used in comics, children’s books, and books with pictures and graphics)
- Basically, there are two plans to publish your EBook on Amazon, standard KDP service where the Author’s will receive about 30-35% of royalties while Amazon keeps the rest, and KDP Select service where Amazon has exclusivity on your digital book for 90 days, and Author receives up to 70% of the royalties.
- Once you have decided the service option to go with, You need to sign up to publish through the “independently publish with us” link at the bottom of Amazon’s homepage and sign in with your Amazon account and accept the service terms, upon accepting you will have a published account, follow the uploading steps to add a title enter the book information like type, category, pricing, etc. provision of adding up to seven keywords for better search results.
- Finally, upload the Cover page, now the EBook is ready to upload.
- Choose the manuscript from your computer and upload it.
- Amazon gives you an option to enable Digital right management (DRM) or not.
- Preview your EBook and set pricing and royalty percentage
- Promote your EBook and track its success.
Other than Amazon there are few more retailers in the market for eBook publishing and distribution.
- Apple (Apple Books)
- Barnes & Noble
- Google Play