A board book is a form of a book printed on thick paperboard. The entire board book, even the inner pages, is printed on a highly durable paperboard that is specially folded and bound together. Each page panel of paperboard comes with a minimum of two plies thickness. This is a sort of picture book that is designed for the youngest of children, who are prone to be less gentle with books. Most of the paperboard books produced worldwide are made in China and Mexico.
It comes in a variety of formats, such as flip-up, flap and, touch and feel, which can help develop fine motor skills in young children and engaging them in a multi-sensory stage.
Features of Board book – are usually made out of thick paperboard or binding two or more pages together. If you compare Board books to hardbound books, the only difference you could find is The cover in Hard Bound is hard and durable, and the pages are still the standard paper. But In Board Books, the entire book, including the pages, are of paperboard, so that it can last long without damage. This is the main reason why board books are exclusively for children because the entire book is durable. Children can easily rip and tear the inner pages leaving the hardcover intact but the pages are destroyed. but with board books, children will have a tough time tearing or damaging the entire book. The length of the text in a board book is also usually shorter. Some board books only have one sentence per page, some only have one word, and some even have no words. These are made up of big words and colorful pictures that will grab your baby toddler’s attention. These books are the perfect gift for them as they provide endless hours of educational entertainment.
- Developed for babies from birth 0-3 years
- Much safer than their counterparts
- Easy to carry in little hands, easy to held, turned, stacked, and tossed
- Babies are prone to explore everything with their mouth, you would allow them to chew the corner of the Board book rather than munch and swallow pieces of paper
- Help build listening and visual skills at an early age.
- Creates interest in reading as soon as your baby pays attention to it
Board Book Vs Picture Book
By now we have understood what the Board book is. It is often confused with a picture book.
|Board Book||Picture Book|
|Specially designed for young readers of ages 0-3||Designed for slightly older readers of ages 4-8.|
|Perfect to hold and read||Combines visual and verbal narratives|
|The book consists of up to 10 pages||Usually consists of 24 to 32 pages|
|The words used in the book are simple and easy to understand||The text will be longer|
Different Types Of Board Books:
Storyboard Books – Storyboard books are great if you desire your child to be in love with reading, The book consists of an action scene along with a brief description.
- Hug Machine By Scott Campbell
- Moo, Baa, La La La By Sandra Boynton
- Llama Easter Egg By Anna Dewdney
- The Tale Of Peter Rabbit Story Board Book Written By Beatrix Potter
Springboard Books – Springboard books help students to enhance their reading, writing, speaking, learning, and critical thinking skills. These books are designed by teachers for teaching and are suitable for 6-12 grade students.
Christmas Board Books – are fun interactive books with different Christmas stories and are most popular.
- Dear Santa by Rod Campbell
- Room for a Little One by Martine Waddell and Jason Cockcroft
- Bob by Sandra Boynton
- Where’s Santa Claus? By Ingela P Arrhenius.